Southern Lights - Pt 3, No 1, 2005
1. Find the meanings of these words from the story.
fascinate - It means to cause a fixation or a strong interest in something.
karakia - It means pray.
seize - Seize means to take hold of something suddenly.
2. Find out 3 pieces of information about the Southern Lights - you might find some information and images on the internet.
1. The Southern Lights are also called the Aurora Australis.
2. The southern and Northern lights occur simultaneously.
3. An aurora is a natural light display in the sky particularly in the high latitude regions.
3. Answer these comprehension questions to show your understanding of the text.
a) What lets you know in the story that the story is told by the Maori?
Because the pictures show maori pictures.
b) Where do you think the men were when they saw the large islands of ice in the south? They were at antarctica I think.
c) Why did the people burn the waka? To carry up the spirit of Tama-rereti and the young chiefs.